EUROMOD is the tax-benefit microsimulation model for the European Union, with more than 20 years of existence. It is based on micro-data from the Eurostat’s European Union Statistics on Income Living Conditions (EU-SILC) and the Family Resources Survey for the United Kingdom.
EUROMOD calculates tax liabilities and benefit entitlements for existing tax-benefits systems, estimating the effects on income inequality and poverty, government budgets, and work incentives.
It is a widely used tool for comparative research and analysis, that allows analyzing and comparing the effects of fiscal and social policies, as well as policy reforms, both for the population of each country and for the European Union as a whole.
EUROMOD is developed and managed by the Institute for Social and Economic Research (ISER) at the University of Essex in collaboration with the national teams of the Member States of the European Union.
National teams make available their local knowledge on theirs tax benefit systems and, in many cases, provide the data to be considered about their country. National teams also play an important role contributing to the preparation of the EUROMOD country reports.
Since 2017, IPP has regularly participated in activities related to the international EUROMOD project. The Portuguese official team of the project is composed of the following members:
President of IPP
Vítor Manuel Junqueira
Technician from the Office
|Joana Andrade Vicente
Research fellow at IPP
Since the beginning of the collaboration between IPP and EUROMOD, our Institute has already had the opportunity to take part in the “EUROMOD training course” at the University of Essex in Colchester, as well as in the “Social Protection Policies and Microsimulation” workshop and the annual meeting, that took place in Zagreb in June.
Below you can access the most recent publications, related to Portugal, developed under the EUROMOD project, as well as other more comprehensive and explanatory publications, if you are interested and want to know more about this project:
- EUROMOD Country Report – Portugal (PT) 2013 – 2016(Rodrigues, Junqueira and Figueiras, 2016)
- Newsletter de março 2017(ISER, 2017)
- EUROMOD: the European Union tax-benefit microsimulation model(Sutherland and Figari, 2013)
- Effects of tax-benefit policy changes across the income distributions of the EU-28 countries: 2015-2016 (EUROMOD, 2017)
- Nowcasting: timely indicators for monitoring risk of poverty in 2014-2016(Gasior and Rastrigina, 2017)
- Decomposition of changes in the EU income distribution in 2007-2011(Paulus and Tasseva, 2017)